- This event has passed.
Bike MS 150-Citrus Tour
May 5 @ 6:00 am - 7:00 pm
The Citrus Tour is a 2 day bicycle event in Polk County Florida and is the largest fund raiser for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in Central Florida. We average between 800 to 1,000 bicycle riders every year.
Proceeds from this event go to research to find a cure for MS and to helping local families effected by MS.
Amateur radio volunteers provide ALL communications and route support for this event. Most of our amateur radio volunteers have been working this event for years and some come from as far away as Miami.
Whether you want to go out and use your new amateur license to meet other HAM’s or you want to get involved with emergency communications, the Citrus Tour is the place to be.
The Citrus Tour has many experienced HAM’s that are willing to help you learn the hobby and it is the closest you can get to disaster communications training without the disaster. We run a fully directed net with tactical call signs, we track units using APRS and handle priority and emergency traffic during this two day event.
MOBILE POSITIONS NEEDED
• Rover Unit A rover unit is a mobile unit (personal vehicle) operated by an amateur radio operator on the course that is unable to transport bicycles & riders.
• SAG Unit (Support and Gear) A SAG unit is a mobile unit (personal vehicle) operated by an amateur radio operator on the course that can transport bicycles & riders.
• Greenway Unit (Support and Gear) A Greenway unit is a pickup truck supplied by Greenway Ford in Orlando operated by an amateur radio operator on the course. They transport bicycles & riders and are typically the first units on the course and the last units off. (Greenway’s are subject to availability).
• Logistics Support Amateur radio volunteer driving Rest Stop supply trucks provided by the MS Society to support a rest stop.
• Shadow Unit A Shadow unit is an amateur radio volunteer that riders with a member of the MS Society staff or a bicycle mechanic to provide a direct radio link to that person during the event.
• Passenger (Radio Operator, non-driver) A non-driving amateur radio passenger who rides in a mobile unit to provide radio communications for that unit so the driver can concentrate on the road.
STATIONARY POSITIONS NEEDED
• Rest Stop Communicator An amateur radio volunteer stationed at a rest stop to communicate the needs and status of that rest stop.
• Command Post Staff An amateur radio volunteer stationed at the Command Post to assist with primary and/or secondary net control.
• Start / Finish Line An amateur radio volunteer at the starting line or finish line and providing radio communications for their position.
2018 BikeMS Citrus Tour Routes
SATURDAY May 5th.
• 50, 75 & 100 Mile Courses leave Fantasy of Flight in Polk City and end at the Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
SUNDAY May 6th.
• 20 Mile Course leaves Fantasy of Flight in Polk City and ends at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City
• 50 & 75 Mile Courses leave the Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate and end at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City.
If you would like more information on how to get involved with the Citrus Tour or the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, visit our website at www.citrustour.org and go to the contact us page. We will direct your inquiry to the proper person.
Local NMSS Office National Multiple Sclerosis Society 4919 Memorial Hwy—Suite 103 Tampa, FL 33634 (813) 889-8303
To register for this event, please visit http://www.citrustour.org